The David Dunlap Observatory – named in honour of Jessie Dunlap’s late husband, David – was opened in Richmond Hill, Ontario by Clarence Augustus Chant in 1935. Originally owned by the Department of Astronomy at the University of Toronto for astronomical research, it once housed the second largest telescope of its time.
Light pollution and land development had ceased scientific research and use of the Observatory. The future of the Observatory then turned to becoming a science centre for children. A redesigned brand identity was created to reflect this new venture and evoke childlike curiosity of looking up at the stars.